A third-party construction firm reached out to Fibrelite regarding a project at James House in York, where they required a replacement for previously installed GRP grating, identified as unfit for the site’s requirements.
The previously installed GRP grating onsite was originally supplied as a complete package by a PCC trough supplier, together with their precast concrete trough units, but after installation it had become apparent that the grating was unfit for the demands of this site.
Key issues were:
- Grating was unsuitable for sustained loading
- Vehicular access had to be restricted, having an adverse effect on site operations
The customer required a high-performance replacement which could be delivered and made operational as quickly as possible.
Fibrelite designed and engineered bespoke trench access covers to fit directly into the existing trenches. Covers were supplied in load ratings of D400 and A15, as appropriate to their location. The D400 load rated covers were stepped from 101.6mm deep to 50mm deep in order to accommodate both the existing rebate and required D400 load rating.
Key features of Fibrelite covers for this project:
- Strength-to-weight ratio. All trench covers can be safely removed manually while strong enough to withstand sustained loading
- Load rating tested; BSI approved
- Anti-slip/skid tread pattern
- Corrosion-resistant: unaffected by water, underground gasses and most chemicals
James House gained the required health and safety certification and has a maintenance-free safe trench covering solution which will continue to perform for years to come.