For the third year running, JEC Group is organizing the JEC Composites Challenge, a competition among PhD. students who have been sourced and hand-picked for the quality of their research in composites. Eleven young researchers from around the world will be presenting their work before leading industrial players in the composites sector. The competition builds bridges between research and industry and is a highlight of JEC World, the international composites trade fair which will be taking place from March 3 to 5, 2020, at the Paris Nord Villepinte exhibition centre.
The final of the competition will take place on March 4 during the JEC World trade show. In presentations given before a panel of expert judges, the eleven doctoral students will rise to the challenge of explaining their project in five minutes using a single slide. Two winners will be selected from the finalists. One by the panel, and one by the audience via an online voting system during the session. The prize for the competition winners is a VIP accreditation for the following year, plus dinner for two at the Eiffel Tower’s restaurant.
For these doctoral students, the event is a unique chance for their research to be recognized: they enjoy unrivaled publicity before an audience of qualified decision-makers in the sector.
And for the composites industry, it is an outstanding showcase of tomorrow’s innovations and talents. The competition, which brings together the sector’s brightest minds, therefore builds bridges between research, industry leaders and, more broadly, all players in the composites value chain.
The competition will take place on March 4 at the Agora with the following schedule:
- 11.35am – 11.40: Introduction
- 11.40 – 12.00: Keynote presentation – « From PhD to Entrepreneur » by Christian Fischer, CEO & Co-Founder of Bcomp
- 12.00 – 13.00: Pitch of the 11 PhD finalists
- 16.35 – 16.45: Composites Challenge Awards Ceremony
The participants in the JEC Composites Challenge will also play a leading role throughout the JEC World trade show. They will give feedback every day on the innovations that caught their eye at the trade show so that these can be featured on JEC World’s social networks. They will also make themselves available for one hour every day to discuss their work with other participants. In addition, a poster presenting their own research will be designed by JEC World and displayed in the Education Hub (hall 5).
This year’s panel of judges is made up of renowned industrial players and researchers:
- Christophe BINETRUY, ECCM19 General Chair & Professor, Centrale Nantes
- Christian-Andre KEUN, President of SAMPE Europe & CEO, CompriseTec
- Lucien FIORE Asia Pacific Business Development Director, Hexcel
- Aicha MIKDAM, Technical Editor, JEC Group
- Véronique MICHAUD, Head of Laboratory for Processing of Advanced Composites (LPAC), EPFL
- Jean-Marc SENECOT, Global Head of R&D, Porcher Industries