It is good practice for any design activity or material or process development to include consideration of the environmental impact in manufacture, in use and at end of life. There are several resources available to help consider these impacts.
- EuCIA Eco Impact Calculator (Trial version)
Simplified LCA tool for calculating the environmental impact of composite products from cradle-to-gate: from the raw materials up to the point-of-sale. Users can calculate, save and export the environmental impacts of composite products and components.
- Five Steps to Eco Design: Improving the Environmental Performance of Products through Design, Granta Material Intelligence
A short booklet providing advice on how you can tackle environmental issues within product design in an integrated and cost-effective manner.
- Renuables downloads. Short introductions to LCA, Carbon footprints, EPDs, Cascading, Industrial Ecology.
- Granta's CES Selector includes:
- Eco Audit Tool: To identify the major contributions to environmental impact
- Materials Selection Tools: To find materials that minimize eco impact while meeting cost and performance objectives
- Eco property data for 1000s of materials
- Restricted Substance (REACH, Sin List) and RoHS indicators
- The Great Recovery Project, was a project by the RSA working with Innovate UK which ran between 2012 and 2016. It looked at the challenges of waste and the opportunities of a circular economy through the lens of design.
If you have other resources to add to this page, please contact us.