The Sustainability Working Group is chaired by Stella Job of Composites UK. The SusWG works across the Sector Groups and seeks to identify opportunities in the Sector Roadmaps where circular economy approaches, end-of-life and recycling opportunities are present.
- Develop capability in life cycle assessment and costing to show the benefits of composites.
- Develop markets for recyclates with associated standards and support creation of GRP recycling supply chain.
- R&D to integrate industrial biotechnology into the supply chain and optimise value of natural fibres.
- Reduce waste and develop energy efficient manufacturing technologies.
- Develop best practice in design, and business models, for environment
The SWG has recently:
- Delivered a Sustainability in Auto Composites workshops that has resulted in several potential new collaborations
- Launched the Composites UK Sustainability sub-group
- Produced a Vision and Roadmap for Sustainable Composites (Jan 2019)
Current work includes driving development of life cycle assessment capability in UK and internationally and supporting research into the development of recycling routes and applications.
- ELG Carbon Fibre
- Exel Composites
- Filon Products Ltd
- GKN Aerospace
- Innovate UK
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Menzolit Ltd
- National Composites Centre
- National Physical Laboratory
- Polynt Composites EMEA
- Resource Futures
- Scott Bader
- University of Birmingham
- University of Exeter
- University of Nottingham
- WMG, University of Warwick
Stella Job, Composites UK