At Composites UK, we encourage all of our member companies to champion equality, diversity and inclusion. June is Pride month, which celebrates the 1.5 million LGBTQIA+ people living in the UK. By demonstrating support for LGBTQIA+ staff, companies can build a culture of increased employee commitment, job satisfaction and productivity, contributing to an accepting environment for all. Everyone has a right to feel safe and comfortable within their workplace.
Some things companies can do to be LGBTQIA+ inclusive:
- Review your policies for LGBTQIA+ inclusion – set guidelines and avoid discrimination, including your policies on parental leave, adoption leave and pensions.
- Provide LGBTQIA+ training – training ensures your policies are heard and understood across the organisations.
- Set up an LGBTQIA+ network – create a safe environment where LGBTQIA+ employees can meet in a safe space or focus group within the working environment and relate to one another.
- Appoint LGBTQIA+ allies – Any non-LGBTQIA+ people within your workplace who are passionate or interested in LGBTQIA+ rights can become an ally championing inclusion in the workplace and offering support.
- List your pronouns – adding pronouns into email signatures or social media profiles can help trans and non-binary people feel more comfortable to state theirs.
This list is not exhaustive and there are plenty of additional ideas available through researching the topic that could be relevant to your business.
Composites UK is proud to stand with the LGBTQIA+ community.
Useful resources and organisations: