Sustainability sub-group Chair: Steven Brown, Scott Bader
Fibre reinforced polymer composites can improve environmental impact in many cases by reducing weight and increasing durability. Making composites better, faster and cheaper, so breaching new markets, is the primary way our industry can have a positive environmental impact. However, there are challenges to overcome to improve recycling / disposal methods and supply chains; to incorporate more bio-based materials; to understand the impact of the products we produce both to the factory gate and through life; to include environmental impact at design stage; to spread good practice in resource and energy efficiency and structure business models to promote this.
The Sustainability Sub-Group works to overcome these challenges, progress and promote good practice and disseminate new developments. We work with other relevant organisations to accelerate progress and reduce duplication.
The Sustainability Sub-Group, with the Composites Leadership Forum Sustainability Working Group, held a workshop in January 2019 to develop a Vision and Roadmap for Sustainable Composites.
- An invitation to a bi-annual Sustainability Working Group meeting, with the option of active involvement in a working group to progress an area of sustainable composites relevant to you.
- Free attendance for one delegate from your organisation at open Composites UK Sustainability events and conferences. These are likely to be one or two physical events per year plus some webinars. Further delegates can register at the usual Composites UK member rate.
Joining Fee: £150 + VAT per annum. (see below)
Current Sub-Group Members
- Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC)
- Composite Braiding Ltd
- Creative Composite Connections
- Cubis Systems Ltd
- ELG Carbon Fibre Ltd*
- Filon Products Ltd
- First Graphene (UK) Ltd
- GE Aviation Systems Ltd
- GKN Aerospace*
- Gurit (UK) Ltd
- National Composites Centre (NCC)
- Pentaxia Ltd*
- Prodrive Composites Ltd*
- RECOUP (Recycling of Used Plastics Ltd)
- Scott Bader Company Ltd
- Sigmatex (UK) Ltd*
- Teledyne CML Composites*
- V-Carbon UK Ltd
- Warwick Manufacturing Group
- Wessex Resins & Adhesives Ltd
How to Join
You must be a member of Composites UK to join this sub-group. Click here for details on how to join.
If you are already a member of Composites UK, please contact the office to join the sub-group. The fee will be charged on a pro-rata basis (e.g. if your renewal is due in 6 months time you will be invoiced £75 + VAT to join, then the full £150 at the time of your renewal).
* Members of Composites UK who are also part of the climate change levy exemption scheme are offered complimentary membership.