The EPSRC Future Composites Manufacturing Research Hub will return to the Advanced Engineering Show this year, which takes place on 1 – 2 November 2023 at the NEC, Birmingham.
The Hub will be located in Hall 3A, on Stand X168. Attendees are invited to visit the stand to find out about the latest developments in composites manufacturing as well as the Hub’s five priority areas,
- High-rate deposition and rapid processing technologies.
- Design for manufacture via validated simulation.
- Manufacturing for multifunctional composites and integrated structures.
- Inspection and in-process evaluation.
- Recycling and re-use.
The Hub is proud to support the annual SAMPE Design and Make Competition. The objective of this year’s competition is to design and manufacture a single-deck composite footbridge to support a central load, using creativity and composites manufacturing knowledge. The testing of the bridges will take place at 15:00 on the Instron UK stand, 1st November.
The announcement of prizes will take place between 11:30 and 12:30 on 2nd November on the Main Stage. There are eight teams participating in the competition, including members from both academia and industry.
The competition promises to be an exciting showcase of innovation in composites manufacturing. Sponsored by industry leaders SHD Composites, Instron UK, and the National Composites Centre, the competition boasts an enticing prize for the team that creates the most innovative and structurally sound footbridge.
On November 2nd, the Hub will host a session in the Composites Forum who will highlight latest
research. The programme is as follows:
- 13:00 Introduction to CIMComp – Prof Nick Warrior, University of Nottingham
- 13:10 Layer by Layer Curing – Mehdi Asareh, Cranfield University
- 13:20 Lightweight Electric Transportation using Structural Power Composites – Dr Sang Nguyen, Imperial College London
- 13:30 Design simulation tools and process improvements for NCF preforming – Dr Lee Harper,
- University of Nottingham
- 13:40 Active RTM: Resin injection into reinforcement with uncertain heterogeneous properties: NDE and control – Dr Andreas Endruweit, University of Nottingham
Dr Lee Harper, Hub Manager said: “We are looking forward to returning for another year of the Advanced Engineering Show. The SAMPE Design and Make competition is an exciting addition to this year’s show and we look forward to welcoming visitors to our stand.”
Advanced Engineering 2023 will highlight innovation and development for the future of the advanced composites and engineering industry.
Visit www.advancedengineeringuk.com to register.