STRUCTeam, the independent composite engineering consultancy, continues their expansion into the automotive sector with the appointment of Tom Cowan as Senior Engineer and Automotive Sector Technical Lead. Tom joins from Williams Racing, the British Formula 1 motor racing team and constructor, where he held the position of Head of Structural Engineering.
Tom brings considerable experience in the design and analysis of high-performance composite and metallic structures. In his new role, Tom will build on STRUCTeam’s engineering competences across the transportation sector, with a strong emphasis on light weighting in automotive structures to maximise vehicle efficiency and reduce emissions. Assisting customers in the acceleration of development cycles through the application of sustainable and effective multimaterial solutions will be central to his responsibilities.
“Securing talent from the top echelons of the motor racing industry strengthens our position within the automotive market,” comments Roman Hillermeier, Transportation Market Sector Leader. “Tom will be a vital part of the work we undertake supporting OEMs and Tiers make the best technological decisions in vehicle design and manufacture.”
Tom concludes, “This is an exciting time to join the company and I look forward to applying my experiences in Formula 1 to a range of commercial and automotive projects. STRUCTeam offers an independent and agile approach to the application of multimaterials and this unique service offering enables our customers to meet the requirements of this demanding sector.”
STRUCTeam’s automotive engineering capabilities include:
- Conceptual design, feasibility studies and business case development to support the introduction of sustainable multimaterial solutions into automotive applications
- Detailed structural design using industry accepted simulation software and bespoke in-house engineering tools
- Manufacturing technology selection and development support for low to high volume production, with a focus on sustainability
- Independent specification of multimaterial solutions covering composites, plastics and metallics
- Project management and engineering support covering materials testing, qualification and proof-of-concept validation